Blogs

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Pregnant breastfeeding.

Words from Mama Brittany: When I found out the big surprise that I was expecting again, My first thought was "Oh no, will I have to wean Oliver?" I was so excited to be pregnant again, but it wasn't in my plan. I planned to nurse Oliver for 30 months minimal and then allow him to self wean, after 30 months I decided it would be ok to get pregnant again because I would have met my breastfeeding goal.  I got pregnant when Oliver was 20 months old, and still very dependent on breast milk. He would nurse a lot for comfort as well as for nutrition. I was very nervous yet determined to allow him to self wean as long as the pregnancy went well and the baby and I were healthy. I did tons of research and debunked all ideas of continued breastfeeding through pregnancy causing harm and made the informed decision to continue. Here I am at 28 weeks still nursing! The baby and I are healthy and both gaining weight. My milk dried up from 19-23 weeks but Oliver just kept on nursing. I was so happy to have colostrum come in because dry nursing can only be described as a feeling of sand coming through your nipples. It was quite painful and not enjoyable but the comfort it provided for my son did make it all worth it. Many woman set limits on nursing because it becomes unbearable, there have been times I've said no, or only allowed him to nurse for short periods. All in all I think my experience with nursing through pregnancy has been relatively uneventful and mostly pleasant. I am excited to know what it will be like to nurse two babies at once. Or should I say a toddler and a baby? I'm sure it will be a fun adventure and I'm looking forward to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment