Blogs

Thursday, August 4, 2011

Silly Breastfeeding Adventures

In honor of world breastfeeding week, we thought we'd share some funny breastfeeding adventures with you.

Mama B: I think I have nursed Oliver just about everywhere. The dinner table, Ikea, Walmart, the park, several food stores, on an airplane, the shower, a boat, cooking dinner, the zoo, Target, Trader Joe's, restaurants, walking down the street, in bed, everywhere! But there will always be one place that sticks out in my mind. Nursing Oliver in the car.

There I am crossing the bay bridge and boom we hit a standstill. We were planning on stopping off for a stretch and a nursing right when we got off the bridge, but due to a fender bender we got stuck on the two lane bridge. Guess who starts screaming for milk- Oliver. So what do I do? Like any good nursing mother, I loosen my seat belt, got on my knees and leaned over Oliver's rear facing car seat and whipped 'em out. You know the elastic boob...I ain't no Dolly Parton and it sure isn't comfy, but instantly Oliver started drinking and stopped screaming.

Did I mention that we do not have tinted windows, my friends? The looks I got were priceless. My parents were following behind us and got quite a chuckle because they knew exactly what I was doing ;p This is not the first time I have nursed Oliver in the car, but most defiantly the one I will always remember.


Umma Nelly: Okay....so, I have never had an experience like Brittany's, but I have had my fair share of different moments with Josiah. Like Mama Brittany, I have also nursed Josiah EVERYWHERE. I have a nursing cover, and when my boy wanted to eat, you can bet your dollar that I nursed him. I'm trying to think about if I ever tried to nurse Josiah in the car the same way as Mama B. Hmm...no, I think I tried, but it just wasn't working for various reasons. ;)

I was always determined to breastfeed Josiah exclusively the first year. Formula was just not part of my equation. There were thousands of times where I was tempted, but always received some type of encouragement from someone (mainly Brittany). This one time while I was in Ohio... I was nursing Josiah and we were already battling him biting. I've done the "tap his mouth", pull him away, use the teething ring, etc. (Side Note: In my personal opinion, the pulling away worked the best). Josiah thought it would be really hilarious to grind his teeth and pull away while he was still on the boob. I screamed and shouted that he can have stupid formula. I thought I had enough, wouldn't you? Especially if you were bleeding at that point? Oh, I hated the biting stage. I just had to deal with it and praise God for when he was ready for organic milk. (We're still nursing, but only comfort nursing). Thank God, he doesn't bite any more. He did get a giggle when he did it, though. It's like that little turkey knew he was up to no good! ;) My mom usually got a kick out of this.

From the Two of Us, Mama's :)

After nursing for over a year, we have a book full of hilarious moments. Some include the waiter getting a free "show" while the little one popped out his head. Some people got to hear a toddler scream for the "boobie" while trying to have a peaceful dinner. You get the ugly stares, but you just look the other way or just smile real big. It all happens. Nursing is full of funny moments. You just have to deal with whatever comes your way, despite the embarrassment or the "ouch" moments. Don't give up. You'll laugh about this when your baby is a wee bit older. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment