Blogs

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Breastfeeding Encouragement for the New Mama :)

Word's from Mama Brittany


Before Oliver was born, I wanted to breastfeed Oliver more than anything. When things took a turn and I found out I would have a preemie; I had my doubts. I had good breastfeeding support, but I never knew anyone who nursed a preemie before, let alone a micro-preemie. I knew lots of woman who nursed, or even pumped. I also found out about the struggles they endured and how a lot of them ended up giving up. I pushed through and now at eighteen month old, who is my not-so-micro preemie, is a nursing toddler!


Oliver was fed his first feedings through a tube, I had to pump to bring in my milk. My milk came in around day 8, I had to pump and pump. I would work with Oliver at the breast with a nipple shield, but he never ate enough to empty me, so after every single feeding I had to pump. This was extremely difficult and I was extremely tired. I would feed Oliver, get him settled, then pump. By the time the whole ordeal was over I would have 20-30 min and the whole ordeal would start over again. I was getting very little to no sleep, I ended up getting mastitis, between the nipple shield and the pumping. I was always engorged and my boobs always hurt. I leaked like crazy and Oliver couldn't latch without the nipple shield. If anyone had a hard time with the beginning stages of nursing,  it was me.


I remember one night, Oliver was screaming and my boobs were full and painful. He wouldn't latch even with the shield! I hadn't slept all night, and I finally screamed, "Give him formula, just give him effin formula!" I didn't mean it. However, it was tempting. I know it's hard, and I know formula and CIO looks very enticing at this point. This was my life for 10 weeks. Around that time, Oliver began throwing up all the time, and crying at night for hours and hours. It was beyond exhausting and discouraging. I may have been exhausted, but Oliver came first. Over everything, breastfeeding him meant more to me than sleep or anything else.


At ten weeks, things changed and it seemed like we could see the light at the end of this tunnel. We were told by his doctor to stop the formula in my breast milk. (When we bottle fed him, we would add 1/4 tsp of formula, for extra calories.) Although, his doctor said to stop; hence, we did and I stopped pumping. Around that time I got mastitis, so I just began straight nursing Oliver. We continued using the nipple shield for four months and then ditched it. By five months, we were nursing pros. So, how did I push through? Determination. Lots of it. Including great support, even if that support was all inside my head sometimes. Ha! I kept telling myself that I could do it!! And I did!!!


I hope that I can be that encouragement to you, whether your baby came three months too early or was overdue. Breastfeeding can be difficult at first; but you can do this, you will do this. You are a strong wonderful mom, who wants to give your baby the very best start in life.


It's normal for babies to eat often, so "baby wear" them and let them nurse whenever they want. Make your life easy, ditch the crib, it's too much to walk back and forth from their room when they want to eat. Set up a safe family bed! With the family bed, the baby will begin to wake and you will be able to give them the breast right away. Usually the baby will "sleep nurse" which means they will fall back to sleep, which means more sleep for you. If you don't want them in your bed then use something within arms reach so you're not getting up a million times a night. Understand babies sleep patterns: check this out for more info on that :) Most importantly, don't have false expectations. Your baby will one day sleep through the night, and they grow fast so try and enjoy these sleepless nights. Trust a mama; you will miss those night time cuddles!


Understand mastitis. I didn't know about this until I had it :( Now I know the signs and can take cautions before getting it. Signs are tender breasts or a pain in your breast. When your duct gets blocked, it can lead to a breast infection. Your breast will hurt like a "mofo" and you may feel like you have the flu. If this happens, continue to nurse your baby! Try lying down while nursing because it may help and also check out Kellymom because they have the best information ever! They also have a "Mommy Forum," so you can chat it up with other moms who are going through the same thing as you!


Surround yourself with breastfeeding, happy people, even if it means online, like I mentioned above. We mama's need to stick together and support each other along this Journey of Motherhood :) It's no easy task- but some one's gotta do it ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment